The windows software emulator, not more booze. Wine is not an Emulator, it seems. This was originally written in about 2011 when I tried to install NWN on my Mac (For more, see here….). As part of the rollforward from OSX 10.6, in 2013, I needed to rebuild the WINE implementation. I reorganised the wiki pages. There are several methods to install WINE, from source, using a package manager or using Wineskin, which I discuss on this wiki here. In March 2015, I added my notes on using Macports with WINE.
- winehq macosx
- winehq mac install, there’s no package, so you need
- winehq mac build which points me at Xcode.
- apple xcode 3.2 page for Snow Leopard
- version tracker’s 3.1.2 page which I used to find…
- apple xcode 3.1.3 home for Leopard 10.5, now upgraded to 3.1.4.
- Winehq on Git, this was very useful, until I discovered that the build from source route was a red herring!
Installing WINE (2011)
After installing from source, I was advised to use macports version and did so. This is much easier. It was a three step process,
- Upgrade Xcode to the most recent version
- Install macports and porticus (this is quite big,)
- Use Porticus to install WINE
The order above is better than the one I did, which was to install macports & porticus, fail to download WINE because the Xcode version was wrong, and only then to upgrade the Xcode version. Porticus is quite big, if downloading this in the UK, you want a quick line and one with head room in the permitted download capacity.
Installing WINE 2013
As said, I had to rebuild the WINE installation in 2013, this is what I did.
- Install WINE using macports (see my Macports writeup for the bollocks)
- I was prompted for mono and installed it using port ‘port install mono’
- I was prompted for gecko which I installed by hand 🙁
- I installed winetricks using macports
- I used winetricks to install a number of dlls: vcrun2005, directx9, mono210, dotnet35spl. I couldn’t find the next d3dx libraries and gave up at this point.
Other wise known as other links.
- Mac NWN FAQ (Neverwinter Nights 1 ) at BioWare Social Network / technology software virtualisation virtualization emulation windows win32 wine nwn neverwinternights bioware community FAQ howtoBioware’s Mac NWN FAQ. They used to publish a Power PC version, but rely on virtualisation to allow MAC users to play the game.
- NWN WinToOSX Wrapper (NWN1) at BioWare Social Network / technology software virtualisation virtualization emulation windows win32 wine nwn neverwinternights bioware communityThis is a thread at the new Bioware forums about the use of Wineskin for NWN. They say “[MAC] NWN WinToOSX Wrapper (Neverwinter Nights 1 – NwN 1 Technical Support (Self help for all versions and expansions))”
- Installing NWN on a MAC using WINE and Wineskin / technology macosx mac apple nwn neverwinternights wine virtualization doh123 wineskinHere’s how I did it, in the Blog Archive at Well Red, an article called “Adventures in Faerun with an Apple Mac”, you need to read the comments to learn about Wineskin
- Installing WINE on Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard / technology software wine install maxosx apple mac community forumsThis is my thread at fourms.winehq.org, I have now copied my findings into the wiki, which were the disable 16 bit flag and an alternative to using the environment variable.
- Installing Wine on Mac OS X / technology software wine macosx howto tutorial mac apple davidbaumgold installa tutorial by Dave Baumgold… this was surprisingly hard to find.
- Wineskin, a wine wrapper for the Mac / Technology software macosx windows wine mac osx emulator freeware opensource wineskinThey say “Wineskin is simply a wrapper used to make ports of Windows™ software to Mac OS X. It can contain a Windows™ program inside of it, and launch and run it easily by just double clicking the file like a normal Mac .app.”
- WineHQ Forums View topic – Wine on Mac: subpar experience / Technology wine macosx games frpgAn interesting discussion about WINE on Mac and trying to get Baldur’s Gate 1 working. doh123 talks about his wineskin