Dan’s Dell Inspiron has a Hitachi Travelstar disk. Given that the computer won’t boot, it’s a bit tricky to recover the data.
I have inserted an Ubuntu Live CD into the CD player, and it still won’t boot. I have plugged an external screen into the VGA port, no go.
- Do we need to fix the computer before we can recover the disk? Disking say they can read the disk and cut a DVD for us.
- My colleague, Jim Barrett has lent me Magic Bridge II which is pretty awesome. I have recovered Danny’s disk, now onto Sue’s.
- Hitachi Support
- Dell Support
- Disking, phone number : (01428) 770077
- google: how can I recover data from an hitatchi travelstar
- Dataclinic, they do this for a living, but their prices aren’t really consumer prices, and they factor on repairing disk.
- Newer Tech USB to Disk adaptor
- IOMEGA USB Adaptor, the Amazon page
It seems that USB to disk adapters are more common than I thought, I have added the Newertech and IOMEGA links to this page today. DFL 20 May 2011